First boat on the Wey & Arun Canal in Surrey since 1871.
Boat trips start on 1st and 2nd September 2012.
Recent work by the Wey & Arun Canal Trust's volunteers will enable boat trips to run on the recently restored section of canal in Surrey for the first time in over 140 years. The Trust already runs hugely popular trips at Loxwood, West Sussex and next weekend will see the start of its second boat centre.
The most recent restoration work focused on a section of canal next to the entrance to the Three Compasses pub, located by the Dunsfold Road at Alfold, which is at the Summit (highest part) of the whole canal and runs along the edge of Dunsfold Park.
The Trust has refurbished its 12-seater boat - the "John Smallpeice" ready for the inaugural trips on Saturday, 1st and Sunday, 2nd September.
Boat trips will be run at half hourly intervals from 11am-4pm on each day and priced at £3 for adults and £1.50 for children. Booking recommended through the Trust's office (firstname.lastname@example.org) 01403 752403 or at the Canal Centre in Loxwood. Tickets will also be available for sale on the day at the ticket desk.
Directions: Take the A281 Guildford-Horsham Road, turning off at the Alfold Crossroads onto the Dunsfold Road. Continue along Dunsfold Road and take first right towards Three Compasses pub, Alfold, GU6 8HY.
Further information and photographs in the form of JPEG files can be obtained from the Wey & Arun Trust's Public Relations Officer: Sally Schupke (01483 560543): email: email@example.com
The Wey & Arun Canal Trust
The 23-mile Wey & Arun Canal was built between 1813 and 1816 to link the Rivers Wey and Arun, thus forming an inland barge route between London and the south coast in order to provide a safe inland route for military supplies to the fleet in Portsmouth. However, after the Napoleonic Wars, it became a largely agricultural canal, carrying goods including coal, chalk, lime and farm produce. The coming of the railways finally sealed the canal's fate, the waterway being abandoned in 1871.
Since 1971, the Wey & Arun Canal Trust, a registered charity, has been working to re-open navigation along the waterway and, once fully restored, to again link Littlehampton on the south coast with the River Thames via the River Wey.